Cold rain falls in the river, flows down to the sea, gets into the skyline, circles endlessly. Same old rain on the wind, same old pain in my soul.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Small


Ever been to a carnival?
Throw the rings, pick the duck
Knock down the milk bottles


Behind the barker
Floating near jupiter
Are the big bears
-The one Mary Ellen wants


Below, on a stained board
Are the chinese trinkets
Mary Ellen would never kiss for


And only the star quarterback
Will get the bear, and Mary Ellen

I'm in the kitchen now
The women are cooking
And telling tales
Of perverted neighbors

I reach up
To tug on their skirts
Not even knowing
What i'd ask for.

No matter,
They don't feel my touch
Nor sense my needs

I go outside
Where a billion stars
Commiserate above
But they're so many
I so one
They so far
I even farther

Right now
I feel so small
To what plays out around me
The thimble
In a box full of bright
Tangled yarn
Not knowing
How it got there
Or when it lost
Its legs


~rick