Cold rain falls in the river, flows down to the sea, gets into the skyline, circles endlessly. Same old rain on the wind, same old pain in my soul.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Once Ago




Forgive me friends, I found myself feeling limerickish and the next thing you know...But I suppose there is a place, where yesterday meets tomorrow and basks in afterglow. But we'd have to close our eyes to get there.


The sun came up this morning
on the winds of once ago
not just the same ol same ol sun
but a friend i used to know
we talked of days of glory
when cannons thundered low
and also sprigs of trembling touch
of girls from once ago
he rooster ruffled golden gilt to scarlet bedded play
as on a stump i leaned to spy the ease upon his way
he smoked a lantern never pitch that spun me into lull
then painted me a stormy sky
of fretted once ago
i've sentried wars and ended floods
i've crisped the winter snow
i've scorched the green to desert sand
yet bid the flower grow
i've watched your folly, your fits your foil
your sin and its ghastly toll
i've learned what is will always be
fresh squeezed in once agos
i watched his tired eyes fall shut
and felt a deeper cold
and went to find a shaded me
I knew from once ago.

rick